Sunday, April 3, 2011

WRITING LOG - PRINCE OF NEWPORT - Page 159

I'm going to try something new today--a writing log, about what my writing problem is today and what I do to solve it.

Writing a novel for me is not only trying to write well, line by line, it's also solving a series of problems. Who is the main character? What is his problem? How does he solve it? What is the problem in this scene?

As my old writing teacher Oakley Hall used to say, there are long lines and short lines in a novel. In other words, there are little problems and big problems to solve. 

Today, I'm on Page 159 of The Prince of Newport, a mainstream novel with crime elements. This is about the 20th draft of this novel. It's a complete rewrite of a novel my old agent, Eric Simonoff, would not represent. It used to be called The Garden of Bliss. This time, the good guy is more sympathetic, and the bad guy is more despicable, which is something Eric wanted. In a way, it's more fun.

The characters include a scary con-man (like two men I worked for many years ago, only much more dangerous), a young reporter (as I once was), and several interesting women, most of whom the con-man has seduced. 

So it's a power struggle, truth vs. lies, good vs. evil, weak vs. strong, a man with little physical strength but with truth on his side against a ruthless, tough man who will do anything to win. So it's a contest. Much like the UFC, I suppose, only with a larger setting and more at stake.

Hmmm. Sounds good to me. Let's see how it goes. More later. 

-- Roger 

(Below is a link to one of my favorite stories.)

© Copyright 2011, Roger R. Angle
(Link:)
http://www.randomhouse.com/boldtype/contest/0999/sstory1.html

No comments: